Working in the Right of Way
You must apply for a Temporary Encroachment Permit when you plan to occupy, place or maintain merchandise, equipment or materials within the public ROW.
Temporary Encroachment Permits usually involve the following activities being performed within the right of way:
- Temporary construction of guardrail, pedestrian walkways, scaffolds, protective canopies, etc.
- Temporary storage of materials (e.g. merchandise, commodities, construction materials, etc.)
- Park or stage and operate construction equipment (e.g. crane, bulldozer, skid steer, etc.)
- Temporary placement of a field office, dumpster, loose material container, or construction fencing
You must apply for a Permanent Encroachment Permit when you plan to permanently occupy, construct, place or maintain within the city of Aspen right of way. These permits usually include:
- Placement of mailboxes
- Placement of snowmelt in sidewalks
- Any other type of permanent object within the right of way
ROW Permits are required when a project involves excavation or performing other work in the public right of way. See Chapter 7 of the Engineering Standards (PDF) for more information.
ROW Permits cover items such as:
- Earth retention systems that extend into the right of way
- Installation of utility lines
- Landscaping in the right of way
- Repairs or construction of sidewalks and driveways
Every excavation job requires a check for utility locations before work can begin.
811 is the “Call Before You Dig” number for all utilities.
Work in the ROW is only allowed between April 1 and November 1.
Within the city’s Downtown Core (PDF), ROW work is only allowed between April 1 and May 31 (excluding Memorial Day Weekend), and between Labor Day and November 1.
- July 4th (Including the Holiday Weekend If July 4 Falls on a Monday or Friday)
- Memorial Day Weekend
- Labor Day Weekend
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- New Year's Day
- Food & Wine Weekend (Friday - Sunday) in the Central Resort Area (PDF) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- President's Day
- Christmas Week
- Holiday Season - Days leading up to Christmas until New Year's Day - Holiday Season Dates (PDF)
- Food & Wine Festival (Friday through Sunday) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>