BEST stands for Board of Examiners for Standardized Testing. It is a program used by the City of Aspen, Pitkin County, and many other jurisdictions in the Roaring Fork Valley and along the I-70 corridor to verify contractors’ and job supervisors’ Code knowledge. A BEST card is not the same as a Contractor License.
- All licensed general contractors must have a BEST card or ICC Certification.
- Specialty contractors must have a BEST card specific to their trade.
- Job supervisors in the City of Aspen and Pitkin County also are required to have a BEST card.
- The BEST card is attached to the test taker and not to the company. When a cardholder leaves a company, the card goes with him/her.
Please note: A Business License is separate from a Contractor License.
ONLINE TESTING AVAILABLE
The City of Aspen is offering BEST tests online only if the contractor is working within the City of Aspen or Pitkin County. But first you must be registered in Salesforce.
- If you already have access to Salesforce, you do not need to register.
- All tests will be given on the 2015 ICC Codes.
- Passing grade is 70% or higher.
- We will honor BEST cards from other jurisdictions with approval from the City Chief Building Official.
SCHEDULING THE TEST
Login to your Salesforce account, and start an Application for a Certification on the portal.
- Find instructions HERE
- Once your application has been submitted, please allow 1 to 2 business days for staff to review it. Someone will contact you via email to pay the testing fees.
- After fees have been paid, you will receive a link to the BEST test.
- Staff will receive a notification when you complete the test and will score it.
- If you pass, a new BEST card will be mail to you within 2 to 3 business days.
- In the interim, you will receive a digital copy of your card.
Other jurisdictions provide testing and issue BEST cards. You may contact them at:
- Snowmass Village Building Department 970-923-5524
- Carbondale Building Department 970-510-1210
- Glenwood Springs Building Department 970-384-6411
- Basalt Building Department 970-927-4702
- Town of Silt Building Department 970-876-2353
Each jurisdiction offers testing at various times, so please call your preferred location to schedule a test.
PREPARING FOR A TEST
The tests are open book and you are responsible for acquiring one for the test. The tests are a random selection of questions. The questions are either true/false or multiple choice.
Historic Preservation Testing: Study materials for an historic preservation certification can be found online. The test is based on this information and is open book.
BEST Testing Fee Schedule
|Type of Test||Total Questions||Price|
|Light Commercial||50 Questions||$50.00|
|Residential/Owner Builder||25 Questions||$25.00|
|Specialty Tests: HPC, Roofing, Mechanical||25 Questions||$25.00|
- Permits will not be issued to unlicensed contractors!
- Your certification renewal is your responsibility!
- After receiving a BEST card or state licenses, contractors are required to obtain a contractor license through the City of Aspen in order to work in the City or Pitkin County.