BEST stands for Board of Examiners for Standardized Testing. It is a program used by the City of Aspen/Pitkin County and many other jurisdictions in the Roaring Fork Valley and along the I-70 corridor to verify contractors’ and job supervisors’ level of Code knowledge. A BEST card is not the same as a contractor license.
- All licensed general contractors must have a BEST card or ICC Certification.
- Specialty contractors must have a BEST card specific to their trade.
- In the City of Aspen and Pitkin County Job supervisors also are required to have a BEST card.
- The BEST card is attached to the test taker and not to the company. When a cardholder leaves a company, the card goes with him/her.
Please note: A Business License is separate from a contractor license.
ONLINE TESTING AVAILABLE
- The City of Aspen is offering BEST tests online, but first you must be registered in Salesforce
- If you already have access to Salesforce, you do not need to register.
- All tests will be given on the 2015 ICC Codes.
- Passing grade is 70% or higher.
- We will honor BEST cards from other jurisdictions with approval from the City Chief Building Official.
SCHEDULING THE TEST
- Login to your Salesforce account, and start an Application for a Certification by following these instructions HERE.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- Once your application has been submitted, please allow 1 to 2 business days for Building staff to review it. Someone will contact you via email to pay the testing fees.
- After fees have been paid, you will receive a link to the BEST test.
- Building staff will receive a notification when you complete the test and will score it.
- If you pass, a new BEST card will be mail to you within 2 to 3 business days.
- In the interim, you will receive a digital copy of your card.
Other jurisdictions provide testing and issue BEST cards. However, be aware that due to the current situation with COVID-19 testing may not be offered.
- Snowmass Village Building Department 970-923-5524
- Carbondale Building Department 970-510-1210
- Glenwood Springs Building Department 970-384-6411
- Basalt Building Department 970-927-4702
- Town of Silt Building Department 970-876-2353
Each jurisdiction offers testing at various times, so please call your preferred location to schedule a test.
PREPARING FOR A TEST
The tests are open book and you are responsible for acquiring one for the test. The tests are a random selection of questions. The questions are either true/false or multiple choice.
Historic Preservation Testing: Study materials for an historic preservation certification can be found online. The test is based on this information and is open book.
BEST Testing Fee Schedule
|Type of Test||Total Questions||Price|
|Light Commercial||50 Questions||$50.00|
|Residential/Owner Builder||25 Questions||$25.00|
|Specialty Tests: HPC, Roofing, Mechanical||25 Questions||$25.00|
- Permits will not be issued to unlicensed contractors!
- Your certification renewal is your responsibility!
- After receiving a BEST card or state licenses, contractors are required to obtain a contractor license through the City of Aspen in order to work in the City or Pitkin County.