Residential Building & Vacation Rentals
Ordinance No. 27
Temporary Moratorium on New Residential Building and Vacation Rental Permits
On December 8, 2021, Aspen City Council approved Ordinance No. 27, a moratorium on:
- the acceptance of any new land use application seeking a development order or notice of approval;
- on the acceptance of certain building permit applications for all residential uses in all zone districts within Aspen city limits;
- and the issuance of new vacation rental permits (also known as “short-term rental” permits).
Complete and valid building and vacation rental permit applications that were submitted by 5 p.m. on December 8, 2021, are being considered for approval and are excluded from the moratorium. The moratorium for residential building is scheduled to extend until June 8, 2022; the pause on the issuance of vacation rental permits is scheduled to extend until September 30, 2022.
Aspen City Council instituted the moratorium to allow for a period to evaluate current and future residential community development in Aspen. This pause grants Aspen City Council the space to fully consider the impacts development is having on the health, peace, safety, and general wellbeing of the residents and visitors of this community.
- What does it mean to put a moratorium on residential building and vacation rental permits?
- What does the moratorium/Ordinance 27 affect?
- When does Ordinance 27 end?
- What’s the difference between a vacation rental and a short-term rental?
- I have a vacation rental permit that was issued before December 8, 2021. Am I still allowed to rent out my vacation rental?
- Am I allowed to rent out my home and/or space in my home under the moratorium?
- What’s the difference between a vacation rental and a long-term rental?
- May I still apply for a vacation rental permit?
We’re here to help! Feel free to contact us with questions and for more information.
Questions about the Permitting Process
Media InquiriesPhillip Supino
Director, Community Development
Email | 970-319-0833
General Questions about the MoratoriumBen Anderson
Long Range Principal Planner
Email | 970-429-2765