Contractor Licensing

Contractor Licenses issued by the City of Aspen Building Department are valid jointly in Aspen and Pitkin County. These are issued separately from your Business License, both of which are required. Prior to applying for or renewing your Contractor License you must first have a valid B.E.S.T. Card or State Card.

Apply for or Renew a Contractor License

To apply for a contractor license, provide the following information to the Community Development receptionist at 201 North Mill Street, garden level.

  • Completed contractor license application form, which includes:
    1. Completed Affidavit of Insurance
      • Every contractor must maintain, at all times, employee and public liability insurance with minimum limit of not less than $500,000 for one person and $1,000,000 for any one accident, and property damage insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $300,000 for any one accident.
      • If this insurance expires, the contractor license is null and void.
    2. Completed Affidavit of Lawful Presence in the United States AND proof of lawful presence in the United States, e.g. a valid driver's license, in compliance with state HB 1023.
    3. Photocopy of both sides of your current B.E.S.T. card or other applicable state license.
  • Check for the correct amount of contractor license fees, made out to the City of Aspen.

Types of Licenses

The type of contractor licenses or registrations you need depend on your roles and responsibilities on a project. These licenses are valid in both Aspen and Pitkin County. Contractor license descriptions can be found here.

Homeowners that are undertaking their own contractor work are exempt from the licensing process, but they still must adhere to the Homeowner / Builder Requirements.