The City of Aspen provides funding support to private 501(c)3 non-profit organizations. We recognize the significance of community-based organizations and/or groups, and the importance they play in providing various services in the communities they serve.
Grant Review Committee
A volunteer citizen board, appointed by the City Council, reviews all grant requests. The Citizen Grant Review Committee evaluates each non-profit grant request in terms of demonstrated financial need, fiscal viability, and adherence to the goals and values of the City of Aspen and value added to the community.
Accepted applications will be forwarded to the Citizen Grant Review Committee, and will be reviewed based on the following:
- Success or impact of past funding
- Past organizational challenges
- Need for specific funding request
- Number of City residents to be served
- Youth Programming
- Aspen-centric focus
- Overall value of application
- Impact of grant to the organization
- Support from other local organizations
- Extent that resources are committed to Executive Staff is weighed in an acceptable manner
2018 Application Process
Information regarding the 2018 Process is listed as follows:
- May 2017: 2018 Grant Applications Available
- July 31st, 2017: 2018 Grant Applications Due
- September / October: Grant Application Review and Interviews by Committee
- End of October: Committee Makes Recommendations to City Council
- November: City Council will consider the funding recommendations during the City's Annual Budget Process
- November / December: City of Aspen Budget Approved
- December / January: 2017 Grant Contracts Mailed to Approved Non-Profits
- Around April 15, 2018: 2018 Grant Checks Mailed
Citizen Grant Review Committee Interview
Applicants may be requested to complete a fifteen (15) minute interview with the Citizen Grant Review Committee prior to the committee making recommendations to the City Council. This is the non-profit's opportunity to present their funding request and explain how it will benefit the community. The committee also has an opportunity to ask any questions regarding the application. The Citizen Grant Review Committee has the option to forego interviews with select non-profits, if deemed appropriate.
If you have questions, or need further information, please contact Julie Gillespie at the Wheeler Opera House - 920-5774.